- 2 pounds u-15 sized shrimp, deveined with tail left on
- 2 tablespoons hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed dry red chiles
- 1/4 cup garam masala
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup tamarind puree
- 1 cup diced onions
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Minced scallion for garnish
Place the oil in large pan over high heat.
Brown the onions until they are caramelized and soft.
Stir in the garlic, ginger, turmeric, salt, coriander seeds, garam masala and tamarind.
Brush the tomatoes with oil and broil until charred and soft.
Combine the onion mixture with the tomatoes and lime.
Process in a blender and marinate the shrimp in this mixture for 12 hours.
Grill over high direct heat, a couple minutes on each side. Garnish with minced scallion and serve with lime wedges.
Photograph by Stephanie Meyer.
Source: Andrew Zimmern